When opening FTK, or a specific case in FTK, you receive the error "An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database or the network. Please close and restart FTK (6)."
Below are common causes for the error. Please examine FTK_Log.txt found at this location, for error messages that may help pinpoint the exact cause of the problem:
1) The computer name has changed.
2) The path to the Case Folder is no longer valid.
3) The wrong version of Python is installed, or Python is not installed at all.
1) Change the computer name back. If you are unable to do this, please contact AccessData technical support.
2) Ensure your Windows account has full permissions to the case directory.
3) Download Python 3.3 and install it. Here is a download link for Python 3.3.5. This should be used with Postgresql 9.6.